In this Must Know…
- Federal Small Business News
- Join us for a Train-the-Trainer webinar on the California Relief Grant Program TOMORROW at 2:00pm PT.
- State Bill Watchlist
- This week’s Goodie highlight is SBA’s federal disaster loans, which are available for California small businesses until November 5, 2021.
Federal Small Business News
Congratulations to Isabel Guzman, who was confirmed this week as Administrator of the Small Business Administration (SBA). Ms. Guzman’s experience in California and as deputy chief of staff for former SBA Administrator Maria Contreras Sweet will serve her well in this job, and the nation’s small businesses will benefit from her understanding of their issues at a time when they most need a strong champion. We are looking forward to working with her to support our small businesses.
We learned all about the stimulus for small businesses and what to expect/not expect on our Tuesday listening session with Matt Gomez, Banking Counsel for Chairwoman Nydia M. Velázquez, House Committee on Small Business. Read our latest CAMEO blog for Matt’s great insight. Some highlights:
- Expands PPP eligibility to larger nonprofits and online publishers, and extended the program for three months.
- Increases funding by $15 billion for EIDL targeted advances.
- Includes $16 billion in grants for shuttered venues and a $28.6 billion Restaurant Revitalization Fund.
CA Relief Grant Train-the-Trainer
The California Small Business COVID-19 Relief Grant Program will open its Round 5 on March 25, 2021. Join us for a new Train-the-Trainer webinar on the program TOMORROW, March 19, 2021 at 2:00pm PT.
In this session, we’ll walk you through the application, including document upload, so you can prepare your clients.
State Bill Watchlist
Several small business bills are making their way through the state legislature. Bills that CAMEO supports:
- AB 511 – Crowdfunding
- AB 915 – Increase in state contracting
- SB 625 – California CDFI Fund
CAMEO is watching/researching the folowing bills, some of which need more bill language to make a decision:
- AB 247 – Changes to COIN
- AB 1177 – Creation of non predatory banking product
- AB 1199 – Tax on corporate landlords
- SB 625 – New state loan guarantee program
- SB 764 – Increase definition of small business
For Your Clients
- Businesses can access CARES Act funding through CALED’s Statewide Revolving Loan Fund. For more information, contact Marc Nemanic.
- Small nonfarm businesses in all 58 California counties are now eligible to apply for low‑interest federal disaster loans from SBA. The deadline to apply for economic injury is November 5, 2021.
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is supporting the Acción Opportunity Fund Small Business Relief Fund through the sale of its Covid Tour t-shirt.
- Sign on to Small Business Majority and Main Street Alliance’s letter to congressional leaders for unrestricted grant funding for America’s smallest businesses, by April 1, 2021.
- Funding Opportunity: ICYMI – Applications are open for the US Treasury’s Emergency Capital Investment Program.
- Jobs: Working Solutions, Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center, and LA Food Policy Council announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!