In this Must Know…
- Register for the 2023 CAMEO Summit in two weeks!
- Read our CEO Carolina Martinez’s recent Forbes column on why business coaching is key to building an inclusive economy.
- This week’s Goodie Highlight is CalOSBA’s 2023 Policy Day 3-part series.
CAMEO Summit in Two Weeks
We’re less than two weeks away from the 2023 CAMEO Summit on June 7-8! We are limited by space and are almost at capacity. If you’re on the fence, register now.
We want to thank Ampac, CIBC, Umpqua Bank, and LenderFit for sponsoring this event.
We have scheduled 17 meetings with legislators with more to come on Advocacy Day, June 7. At the MicroLenders Forum on June 8, CAMEO’s Emily Gasner will moderate a panel on “Selling Your Microloans for Greater Impact” with Elizabeth Schott, CEO of Accessity and Working Solutions CDFI CFO Gasper Magallanes.
And don’t forget to register for the Advocacy Day Prep Webinar, where our policy team, Heidi Pickman and Addison Peterson, will prepare you for the legislative visits.
Responsible Business Lending Policy Updates
After successfully making it through the state Senate, SB 33 and SB 666 will now be heard in the Assembly. SB 33 removes the sunset and maintains the requirements of California’s truth-in-small-business-lending law, SB 1235, while SB 666 protects small business owners from junk fees.
Yesterday, Gov. Newsom announced $39 million in state funding through the Community Economic Resilience Fund (CERF). The Fund was created to support communities with their transition to more sustainable, climate forward industries while strengthening access to good jobs.
Out of the $39 million, four CAMEO members are involved in projects totaling $19.6 million (50% of the funds!):
- Alchemist CDC
- El Pájaro CDC
- West Business Development Center
For Your Clients
- USDA’s Rural Energy for America Program provides loans and grants to agricultural producers and rural small businesses for renewable energy systems or to make energy efficiency improvements. Applications close June 30, 2023.
- NCRC’s Josh Silver is looking for photos of small business owners in front of their businesses for his upcoming book about the CRA.
- NCRC’s new course, “Beyond Diversity Training,” will be offered July 10-12, 2023 in Pigeon Forge, TN. The deadline to apply is June 6, 2023.
- The CDFI Research Consortium invites proposals for research on the CDFI field. Awards for selected research projects range from $1,000 – $50,000. The submission deadline is June 30, 2023.
- The Federal Reserve 2023 CDFI Survey is now open. The deadline to complete it is June 2, 2023.
- Read this recent article by Ami Kassar, CEO of MultiFunding, on the potential impact that SBA’s new proposed rules for SBA lenders can have on the business financing market.