In this Must Know…
- Take Action: Proposed Revamp of DBO
- Join us on March 19, 2020 at 2:00pm PST for our Third Thursday Webinar, “Small Businesses Creating Good Jobs.”
- New Kiva Hub in Oakland
- Join us on June 9, 2020 for Advocacy Day.
- Happy Women’s History Month! Celebrate by supporting women-owned businesses.
- This week’s Goodie highlight is Credit Builders Alliance’s “2020 Credit as an Asset” Master Trainer Certification Program.
Take Action: Proposed Revamp of DBO
A trailer bill accompanying Governor Newsom’s proposed 2020-2021 state budget would expand California’s Department of Business Oversight’s authority and revamp it as the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation.
As part of the Responsible Business Lending Coalition, CAMEO applauds the inclusion of small business protections in the proposed DFPI mandate. However, without a few clarifications, this mandate will not function as intended to serve small business owners. We drafted a letter to express what changes we’d like that will be sent to the budget committees. It’s easy to sign on – email Heidi with a “Yes, I support the DBO expansion recommendations” by Wednesday, March 11, 2020.
Third Thursday Webinar
Join us on Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 2:00pm PST for “Small Businesses Creating Good Jobs.“
Your clients operate in an increasingly competitive market, especially with rising minimum wages and a growing number of laws related to workers’ rights. Proactively taking steps can help them become more competitive. Find out how to help your clients implement a good jobs strategy and engage with CAMEO member Pacific Community Venture’s Good Jobs, Good Business tool.
New Kiva Hub in Oakland
On Wednesday, CAMEO attended a press conference for the official announcement of a new Kiva Hub in Oakland. The Hub is an alliance between Kiva and Centro Community Partners, with the goal of guiding borrowers through the loan process and assisting the organizations supporting them.
Mayor Libby Schaaf spoke about Kiva’s disruption of the traditional capital structure, having provided loans to more than 800 entrepreneurs in Oakland. 75% of those loans have been to women and 80% to people of color. Read more about the Oakland Kiva Hub on our blog.
- Credit Builders Alliance is accepting applications for their “2020 Credit as an Asset” Master Trainer Certification Program. Deadline is March 13, 2020.
- Learn more about 3CORE’s Partner Lending Referral Network for businesses in the Rural North.
- 2020 marks the 40th anniversary of SBDCs being enacted into law. Happy birthday!
- The Department of Commerce awarded CAMEO member 3CORE a $1.8 million grant to establish a Revolving Loan Fund to assist businesses in disaster-impacted Northern California.
For Your Clients
- NWBC is partnering with SBA for the “Take Your Business Global Webinar” on March 19, 2020 at 11:00am PST.
- The Center for Responsible Lending is making available a Know Your Rights factsheet and a borrower survey in English and Spanish to monitor any potential violations of AB 539, last year’s rate cap bill.
- Free Webinar: Join the National Council of Nonprofits on March 10, 2020 at 12:00pm PST to learn about proposed changes in government contracts with nonprofits.
- CAMEO, EDFC, and CDC Small Business Finance announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!