“Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you.” – Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader-Ginsburg.
In this Must Know…
- New Financial Protections for California
- Join CAMEO and Small Business Majority TOMORROW at 11:00am PDT for our weekly California Policy Brief.
- Federal Government Will Not Shut Down
- This week’s Goodie highlight is Wells Fargo’s technical assistance grant program.
New Financial Protections for California
Last Friday, Governor Newsom signed a dozen bills geared toward protecting Californians from financial predators and abusive business practices. A central bill in the package was AB 1864, which transforms the Department of Business Oversight into the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation.
CAMEO worked with consumer groups on the expansion of the department, which is modeled after the federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Small business was included in the initial proposal of the DFPI, but needs improvements to fully protect our entrepreneurs. Please fill out this survey to ask small business to be included as a priority for the new department. The deadline to complete the survey is TOMORROW (it takes less than five minutes)!
California Policy Brief
CAMEO joins Small Business Majority TOMORROW, October 2nd at 11:00am PDT, for a weekly virtual update where we will discuss small business policy and regulatory updates that may or may not impact your small business clients.
Topics of discussion include:
- Federal and state policy updates
- Update on what’s on the Governor’s desk for signature
- Free and low-cost resources for CA small business owners
Federal Government Will Not Shut Down
Today, the President signed the continuing resolution that will avert a government shutdown ahead of the September 30 funding deadline.
The stopgap measure was passed with bipartisan support in both chambers, and will fund the government through December 11, 2020.
If you have questions about your federal funding, check with your grant administrator.
- CRC is extending the application deadline for their Racial and Economic Justice Cohort to October 8, 2020.
- The By Black Conference, taking place October 14-16, 2020, will provide tools of empowerment to support black-owned businesses.
For Your Clients
- The AWBC is offering $2,000-$5,000 Training Reimbursement Grants (could be for your organization, too).
- Public Private Strategies is initiating a survey effort to understand the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on America’s small business owners, and especially owners of color.
Funding & Resources
- WellsFargo is opening a $50M grant program as part of its Open for Business Fund that will provide technical assistance to nonprofits helping microbusinesses recover and rebuild.
- CBA’s new Credit Builder Loan Toolkit guides organizations through the steps of setting up a CBL program.
- Free Webinar: The Cal Asian Chamber of Commerce is holding a webinar on California Resiliency and Recovery on October 13, 2020 at 9:00am PDT.
- Jobs: CDC Small Business Finance, the Cal Asian Chamber of Commerce, and WEV announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!