In this Must Know…
- The Micro Census is open! Read Last Year’s Report
- Join us for the CalSavers Webinar on October 23.
- Community Advantage Comments
- This week’s highlight is a new book by Prosperity Now founder Robert E. Friedman – “A Few Thousand Dollars: Sparking Prosperity.”
The Micro Census is Open! Read Last Year’s Report
CAMEO partners with FIELD at the Aspen Institute to conduct a census of California’s microbusiness programs using the microTracker platform.
CAMEO members that fill out the Census by the end of October will receive $100 toward lunch for their staff. (Yes, we extended the date.)
Take advantage of this opportunity like EDFC’s staff who ate at Patrona in Ukaih. Email Andrew when you’ve completed your survey for your ‘free lunch’ as well as help on filling out the Census. Andrew can also help you and your organization complete the survey.
To get an idea of what information we glean from the microTracker census, download our in-depth analysis of last year’s census data, which was recently published. You’ll find a lot of interesting information about the state of the CAMEO network and the overall trend of the micro sector in California.
Read more about the benefits of filling out microTracker and the analysis of last year’s census on our blog post – MicroTracker: Fill Out This Year’s Census and Review 2017 Census Results.
CAMEO, Small Business Majority, and the California SBDC Network invite you to hear about CalSavers – a retirement savings program that your clients can provide their employees for free! Learn how the CalSavers program works and how you can educate your clients about this fantastic new program. Please pass this flyer on to any employer who may be interested in the pilot program.
Register for CalSavers – California’s Free Retirement Program for Your Clients on October 23, 2018, at 2:00 pm.
Community Advantage Comments
The SBA is extending the Community Advantage (CA) Pilot Program until September 30, 2022, in order to further evaluate the program. SBA is also placing a moratorium on accepting new Community Advantage Lender applications, limiting fees that can be collected from an applicant for a CA loan, and revising other program requirements.
SBA is soliciting comments from interested members of the public on all aspects of the CA Pilot Program. Comments must be received on or before November 13, 2018.
CAMEO has written comments that you can use as a reference for your own comments.
- NCLC has released a new report on installment loans, “A Larger and Longer, Debt Trap?“
- The Chapman Institute released “California Feudalism: The Squeeze on The Middle Class.”
- A new paper from the Federal Reserve Banks of Atlanta and Cleveland shows the difficulties faced by small black-owned businesses when obtaining credit.
- Prosperity Now founder Robert E. Friedman has a new book out, A Few Thousand Dollars: Sparking Prosperity.
For Your Clients
- ASBC is launching its “Business for Democracy Campaign,” which encourages businesses to offer their employees time off to vote.
- American Express’ Shop Small Studio’ has a host of customizable marketing materials to get ready for Small Business Saturday.
- Small Business Majority is celebrating National Women’s Small Business Month with a series of free webinars throughout October.
- CALED is hosting a webinar on California Opportunity Zones on November 7, 2018, at 1:00 pm.
- Join Small Business Majority for their CalSavers Retirement Savings Program webinar on Tuesday, October 30, 2018, at 11:30 am (PDT).
- Register for AFN’s Annual Bay Area Asset Building Conference on November 1, 2018, in Oakland.
- The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) will host two workshops – Credit Risk and Operational Risk Workshop – in San Francisco on November 6-7, 2018.
- AEO will host a stakeholder call on October 25, 2018, at 22:30 pm PST, on the OCC’s proposed changes to the Community Reinvestment Act.
- For Our Members: LendingFront explains “How Small Business Lenders Can Get the Most from Fintech Innovations in UI and UX.“
- Jobs: Pacific Community Ventures, CalSavers, JEDI, California Farmlink, Cutting Edge Capital, and Chinatown Service Center are hiring!