In this Must Know…
- Education Campaign: How to File a Complaint with the DFPI
- Join our SBA Microloan Program 101 class next Thursday, November 2, 2023 at 10:00am PT.
- CRA Reform: First Impressions
- Reminder: the RFP to join the Behavioral Science in TA Cohort is due TOMORROW, October 27, 2023. If you missed the info session earlier this month, you can watch it here.
- CAMEO was featured in a CU Today article on the Senate’s vote to overturn the CFPB’s Section 1071 rule.
- This week’s Goodie Highlight is the Federal Reserve’s annual Small Business Credit Survey, which is open through November 17, 2023.
Education Campaign: How to File a Complaint with the DFPI
When a financial institution violates state law, the California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation (DFPI) has the power to launch investigations, enforce penalties, and change regulations. Thus, DFPI complaints are of vital importance to keep companies accountable. However, many small businesses and consumers of financial services/products are not aware that they can file a complaint, or are unsure how to do it, or believe it is too complicated.
CAMEO is launching an education campaign in order to inform you and your small business and entrepreneurial clients of their options and empower them to make their voices heard when a financial institution acts unfairly. If you or your clients have had issues with a small business financing company, please file a complaint. (Yes, you can file on behalf of your clients, with their permission of course.) Let us know you filed by emailing Daniela Fernandez-Ulen or filling out this short form.
SBA Microloan Program 101
Join us next Thursday, November 2, 2023 at 10:00am PT for our SBA Microloan Program 101 course, part of CAMEO’s National CDFI Academy. We’ll share what you need to know about the SBA’s application process as well as the benefits and challenges of securing micro-lending capital loans and technical assistance (TA) grants.
Tickets are $50 and CAMEO members will get a 50% discount with the membership code (email Daniela for the code).
This course is funded [in part] through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
CRA Reform: First Impressions
On Tuesday, the Treasury Department, Federal Reserve, and FDIC released a final rule that details long-awaited updates to the Community Reinvestment Act.
On first impressions, it’s a mixed bag. The regulations include much-needed modernizations to combat climate change, support micro businesses, and a potentially better evaluation process. However, regulators missed an opportunity to explicitly address race-based discrimination in lending.
- SBA is hosting the Invention, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship Advisory Committee Inaugural Meeting on November 1, 2023 from 6:00am to 12:00pm PT.
- Join Asset Funders Network’s webinar on “Small Independent Landlords” on November 1, 2023 at 11:00am PT.
- Project Equity released Employee Ownership for Manufacturers: A tool to create resilient supply chains and quality jobs.
- Accelerator for America and the International Economic Development Council published Small Business Capital: A Place-Based Approach.
For Your Clients
- The AirBnB Entrepreneurship Academy is hosting an “Intro to Hosting” session on November 7, 2023 at 3:30pm PT.
- Ask your clients to take the Federal Reserve’s annual Small Business Credit Survey and help bring to light the state of small business. The survey is open through November 17, 2023.
- Industry News: Recent U.S. Census Bureau surveys show supply chain issues have declined significantly since the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic, while inflation created a large increase in prices.
- Jobs: CAMEO, Project Equity, Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center, and LIFT, Inc. announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!