“Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you.” – Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader-Ginsburg.
In this Must Know…
- Help Stop Predatory Small Business Lending
- Join us on October 1st, 2020 at 10:00am PDT for our California Rebuilding Fund Train-the-Trainer.
- Economic Opportunity Needs Justice
- We disconnected our landlines, please contact staff by email to set up a phone call.
- This week’s Goodie highlights are two new COVID-related reports by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National Bureau of Economic Research.
Help Stop Predatory Small Business Lending
In addition to the regulations on SB 1235 that we wrote about in last week’s newsletter, CAMEO has been working with consumer groups on the expansion of the DBO to the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation (DFPI). While small business wasn’t included, we need to work hard to make it a priority. Please fill in this survey.
Suggested answers for a couple of questions are as follows:
Answer For Q8: Most small business owners act as consumers and need protection from predatory products and lenders.
Answer For Q9: Write the rules needed to protect small businesses from predatory lending, and begin enforcement of the California’s small business truth in lending law.
California Rebuilding Fund: Train-the-Trainer
Join us on October 1st, 2020 at 10:00am PDT to learn about the California Rebuilding Fund, a new program created to support California’s smallest businesses as they adapt, reopen, and recover from the effects of COVID-19.
This program has been built in partnership with public, private, and nonprofit leaders across the state to ensure that small businesses are able to access the resources and capital they need to get through these challenging economic times.
Economic Opportunity Needs Justice
Our colleague Debra Gore-Mann wrote in Greenlining‘s newsletter “Breonna Taylor was unjustly murdered. The declared state of emergency in Louisville confirms the seriousness of this reckless, systemic state-sanctioned violence against Black folks, and Black women in particular… We must continue believing that a fair and equitable future is possible by advocating for police accountability and establishing policies that increase access to economic opportunities.”
- A new U.S. Chamber of Commerce report shows that the pandemic disproportionally affects female-owned small businesses.
- The National Bureau of Economic Research recently published Did the Paycheck Protection Program Hit the Target?
For Your Clients
- Grow with Google is hosting a four-part small business workshop series, taking place between September 22 and October 7, 2020.
- Accion and Opportunity Fund are holding a webinar about “The Art of the Pitch in the COVID Era,” on October 1, 2020 at 11:00am PDT.
Professional Opportunities & Resources
- Join CALED for a CA Statewide Economic Development Briefing on September 30, 2020 at 10:00am PDT.
- Credit Builders Alliance’s new Credit Builder Loan Toolkit guides organizations through the steps of setting up a Credit Builder Loan (CBL) program.
- Member Kudos: Access Plus Capital (Fresno CDFI), Vermont-Slauson, Main Street Launch, IDRS, Inc., and California FarmLink were selected for a FY2020 SBA PRIME Grant.
- Jobs: WEV, CRC, and the Sustainable Economies Law Center announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!