In this Must Know…
- Engage your Legislators
- Responsible Business Lending News
- Welcome to Liza Rivera, CAMEO’s new Outreach Manager!
- This week’s Goodie highlight is a report by the U.S. Census Bureau that celebrates Women’s History month: the number of women-owned employer firms increased from 2017 to 2018 by 0.6% while the overall number of businesses dropped.
Engage your Legislators
April is a great time to engage your legislators and two opportunities are around the corner – one federal, one state.
CAMEO is sponsoring a California Delegation Congressional briefing on April 14, 2021 at 11:00am PT. Join us for a discussion on challenges that small businesses have faced during COVID-19 and sustainable solutions.
April 5-9 is Annual CDFI Week. You can volunteer to meet with legislators during virtual lobbying visits. If you’re interested, please email Rachel Smith at Public Interest Advocates.
- Save the date for our Advocacy Day: June 8, 2021.
- CAMEO released a statement on President Biden’s new infrastructure plan.
Responsible Business Lending News
Last week, the Responsible Business Lending Coalition sent a letter to the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation, with regards to the rulemaking agenda for the California Consumer Financial Protection Law. Thanks to everyone who supported including our consumer advocate friends!
In related news, Senators Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) and Sherrod Brown (D-OH) introduced the Congressional Review Act resolution to overturn the OCC’s “fake lender” rule measure that would let lenders skirt a 36% interest rate cap. We are expecting a House version from Congressman Chuy García (IL-04). Check out the list of predatory lenders currently evading state rate caps, including in small business lending.
CAMEO is excited to welcome Liza Rivera, our new Outreach Manager.
Liza has nearly a decade’s worth of experience working in the nonprofit sector leading economic and green space initiatives, developing grassroots movements, and honing her skills as an organizational leader, facilitator, and educator.
Liza has her B.A. degree in Communications and truly enjoys cultivating and nurturing relationships and collaborative partnerships. She is based in Southern California.
For Your Clients
- Reimagine Main Street will host an event regarding the role of small business owners to promote vaccines on April 6, 2021 at 11:00am PT.
- California small businesses have until April 27, 2021, to apply for an SBA federal disaster loan for economic injury caused by the Niland Fire.
- SBA Office of Advocacy released Small Business Facts: Paths to Business Ownership.
- A new report by the U.S. Census Bureau revealed that the number of women-owned employer firms increased from 2017 to 2018 by 0.6%.
- Take Action: The CDFI Fund is seeking comments on the Compliance Worksheet for implementation of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.
- Jobs: California IBank, Main Street Launch, and Centro Community Partners announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!