In this Must Know…
- CAMEO’s 30th Anniversary Celebration
- State Policy Updates
- Carolina explains how the recently-passed SB 666 helps level the playing field for entrepreneurs in this latest American Banker article.
- Carolina also has a new op-ed out in Fortune today arguing that if banks are truly concerned about racial equity in small business lending, then they must support the implementation of the CFPB’s data-collection rule requiring reporting and collection of demographic data.
- Don’t forget to register for the 2024 Cohort of CAMEO’s CDFI Essentials, our monthly facilitated peer learning program consisting of 11 live monthly sessions starting February 20, 2024.
- This week’s Goodie Highlight is CCCI’s California CDFI Summit taking place on January 17, 2023 in Wilmington, CA. All CAMEO members are also CCCI members, so don’t miss it!
CAMEO’s 30th Anniversary: Celebrate with Us!
If you attended our Annual Member Meeting in December you know that CAMEO is turning 30 this year!
To celebrate, we are heading down the California coast on November 13-14, 2024 for an exciting two-day event at The Dana Hotel in sunny San Diego.
We’re working on fun, engaging, and enriching content for microlenders, TA providers, and our partners.
Stay tuned for updates on the event’s agenda and other celebratory activities throughout the year!
State Policy Updates
- CAMEO’s Heidi Pickman testified at the Senate Judiciary Committee today to express our support for SB 869, which seeks to regulate non-loan commercial financing products the same as loan products, rein in predatory brokers, and close a few loopholes. The bill passed with overwhelming and bipartisan support and now goes to Senate appropriations.
- Governor Newsom released his proposed FY 2024-25 budget yesterday. We look forward to reviewing the budget details; at first glance it looks like the state maintains investments in key small business programs and agencies.
ICYMI: How to File a Complaint with the DFPI
Last October, CAMEO launched an education campaign in order to inform you and your small business and entrepreneurial clients of their options and empower them to make their voices heard when a financial institution acts unfairly. DFPI complaints are of vital importance to keep companies accountable. If you or your clients have had issues with a small business financing company, please file a complaint. Let us know you filed by emailing Daniela Fernandez-Ulen or filling out this short form.
- The Small Business Anti-Displacement Network (SBAN) released their new collection of case studies, Keeping Small Businesses In Place: Voices From the Field.
- Read the CDFA Foundation’s 2023 Franzini Fellows’ white paper on Best Practices for Equitable Lending.
- CCCI is hosting its Second Annual California CDFI Summit NEXT WEEK on January 17, 2023 in Wilmington, CA.
- The U.S. Treasury Department is hosting an SSBCI Update Webinar for all participating jurisdictions on January 31, 2024 at 12:30pm.
- Public Counsel was selected as one of CREDO Mobile’s three featured nonprofits for January. Cast your vote to increase Public Counsel’s share of CREDO’s donation!
- January is National Mentoring Month, so we’re taking this opportunity to celebrate the business coaches and mentors within our membership!