It is with sadness that we write this news: Robert Gnaizda passed on July 11, 2020. Our hearts go out to Claudia Viek, CAMEO’s former CEO, and Robert’s family. Bob, as friends knew him, was an exceptional man: a fighter for justice, an advocate for the underdog, a family man, and an insatiable lover of chocolate. Visit Robert Gnaizda – GatheringUs Online Memorial to leave a memory or photo of Bob for his family.
In this Must Know…
- Join MicroLending Essentials: Virtual 2020 from August 11 to September 15, 2020
- Join Advocacy Day 2020: Virtual Edition on July 21, 2020, and don’t miss the prep session TODAY!
- FY2021 Federal Appropriations
- This week’s Goodie highlight is Outsmart Disaster’s five-week training on resiliency and recovery starting July 23, 2020.
MicroLending Essentials: Virtual 2020
For the first time, CAMEO is offering the successful MicroLending Essentials training in an online format. Join our six two-hour online classes from August 11 to September 15, 2020.
Developed by Susan Brown, CAMEO’s VP of Capacity Building, this introductory training covers multiple analyses: global cash, credit history, debt-to-income, and bank statements. Participants also underwrite and write credit memos for three actual microloan applications.
Susan developed this introductory training with input from some of the strongest lenders in the field today.
This class is normally offered at $500. We are pleased to offer it to you at a subsidized rate courtesy of the SBA PRIME program.
Advocacy Day Next Week
Join us next Tuesday, July 21, 2020 for Advocacy Day: Virtual Edition.
Don’t miss this opportunity to engage with Isabel Guzman from GO-Biz, Assemblymembers Monique Limon and Shirley Weber, and other state officials to stand up for small business.
The online prep session will provide talking points and tips on meeting with legislators. It takes place TODAY at 2:00pm.
FY2021 Federal Appropriations
The FY2021 appropriations bills have passed out of the House Appropriations Committee. A full House vote is the next stop.
Check out our MicroBiz Blog for the proposed funding levels for small business programs at Treasury, SBA, and USDA. Please note that for every SBA program that CAMEO asked for an increase received one. Thanks to Madison Services Group for working hard on appropriations on behalf of our sector.
- The 2020 BSEL Social Enterprise Grants Program helps nonprofit organizations that operate social enterprises in Southern California. The deadline is August 3, 2020.
- Wells Fargo’s “Open for Business Fund” is for CDFIs, Intermediaries, and Funds to respond to small business recovery efforts. The deadline to apply is August 7, 2020.
- The Federal Reserve conducted a survey on The Impact of COVID-19 on Low- to Moderate-Income Communities.
- NCRC published a white paper that proposes a new rating system to measure banks’ community development financing under CRA that could generate billions more for COVID-impacted neighborhoods.
Webinars and Other Training
- Join AARP on July 22, 2020 at 11:00am PDT for a free webinar featuring Shark Tank’s Daymond John on what’s next for small businesses and second careers.
- The Outsmart Disaster initiative will hold a five-week training on resiliency and recovery with a focus on Napa and Sonoma Counties. The training kicks off July 23, 2020.
- Member in the News: The Ukiah Daily Journal published an article on EDFC and the work that they do to help small businesses stay afloat during the pandemic.
- Jobs: California Reinvestment Coalition, the Northern California Land Trust, and Women’s Economic Ventures announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!