“History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.” – Maya Angelou
In this Must Know…
- California Legislature and Other State News
- Join the webinar “What Powerful Data Can Do For You: California WBCs Measure Up! Project” on September 10, 2020 at 2:00pm PDT.
- Small Business Bankruptcy Webinar
- This week’s Goodie highlight is NALCAB’s Rural Capacity Building Program.
California Legislature and Other State News
The state Senate approved AB 1864, legislation that will create the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation (DFPI) to replace the existing Department of Business Oversight.
The DFPI will have authority to bring actions against previously unregulated industries and offer protections to California small business owners facing hardships. CAMEO and many of its members were part of a large coalition that actively supported AB 1864.
Learn more about this and other bills of interest for the small business sector on our latest CAMEO Blog.
In other news, CAMEO is partnering with GO-Biz on the California Rebuilding Fund, a new public-private partnership that will leverage government backed capital to support California’s small businesses – especially the smallest under-served firms and entrepreneurs from communities that have been historically disenfranchised.
Webinar: What Powerful Data Can Do for You
Join “What Powerful Data Can Do For You: California WBCs Measure Up! Project” on September 10, 2020 at 2:00pm PDT.
Data is important to make the case for your programs and improve client outcomes. In this webinar, CAMEO and the California WBC Network share the Measure Up! project’s work over the past 12 months using processes and tools that you can use to have powerful data when you need it. We’ll also discuss the project’s process, challenges, and successes.
Small Business Bankruptcy Webinar
On July 29, 2020, the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area hosted a webinar on Small Business Bankruptcy. It was a very insightful presentation with lots of vital information, especially during these times of great struggle for small businesses.
If you missed the webinar or would like to revisit it, the LCCRSF has shared the recording and slides.
- Legal Aid At Work and the LA Black Worker Center created a labor and employment law guide for Black workers.
- In Democratizing Finance, Clifford Rosenthal highlights historical efforts to bring capital to Black communities.
- CALED’s virtual Rural Exchange event takes place September 23, 2020 from 1:00pm to 3:00pm PDT.
- The NALCAB Rural Capacity Building Program provides short-term, 0% interest lending capital to nonprofits serving LMI rural communities.
- Member Kudos: This June, Opportunity Fund reached a milestone of $1 billion in cumulative investments in small businesses and low-income communities.
- Jobs: The Sustainable Economies Law Center, Working Solutions, and Pacific Community Ventures announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!