Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) is a community-based, local economic development organization which, for over 38 years, has engaged individuals and small business in community-building strategies. Our mission is to achieve economic justice for San Francisco’s low and moderate income Latino families through asset development. Within the past year, MEDA launched Plaza Adelante, a one-stop financial and asset development center.
Under the supervision of MEDA’s Programs Director, the Business Development Program (BDP) is the organization’s longest standing program. It provides one-on-one business technical assistance and group workshop curriculum in both Spanish and English. It targets Latino-owned small businesses and Family Child Care Providers, it manages its own Microloan Program through a partnership with Opportunity Fund, and works directly with merchants from our small business retail incubator, which was recently created. We expect this individual to work with each of these sets of clients and programs.
As part of the business development team, the Small Business Consultant will be responsible for providing individual business assistance, business workshop training, program and curriculum development and outreach and collaborations and case management.
The individual must understand the connection between small businesses and community development. Also, this person must be entrepreneurial in the fullest sense of the word.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide one-on-one consulting on various business development topics including but not limited to the following: business assessment; access to capital; business planning; permit & licensing guidance; marketing; financial projections; and referrals to outside agencies for specialized assistance.
- Follow-up with clients on an on-going basis to track impact of services provided.
- Prepare, coordinate and facilitate business-related workshops.
- Develop and update business training curriculum.
- Develop loan packages for business loans.
- Develop and maintain collaboration with other agencies.
- Develop and maintain updated resources for referrals to outside the agency.
- Gather and compile necessary client information and perform data entry into data tracking and evaluation systems.
- Perform program outreach to community agencies, informing them of our services provided.
- Provide support to the Development Team in fundraising efforts, as needed.
- Engage in special projects as they arise.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economics or other related field
- Experienced business owner and/or consultant with a minimum of 3 years of experience in the field
Knowledge and experience in quantitative and financial analysis
- Experience with the small business loan application process
- Excellent writing and computer skills, experience in writing business plans
- Excellent verbal communication, presentation skills, and customer service
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task
- Ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment
- Experience with working with low- to moderate-income entrepreneurs, Professional or personal experience working with communities of color required
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Must be available to work outside regular business hours
- Must be Fluent in Spanish