- Independent Contractor or Employee? What it means for CA micro-businesses
- Two great webinars: LendingFront Online Platform & CalSavers
- CAMEO members that fill out the microTracker Census by the end of October will receive $100 toward lunch for their staff (deadline extended).
- The Goodies – This week’s highlight is a new book by Prosperity Now founder Robert E. Friedman – “A Few Thousand Dollars: Sparking Prosperity.”
Independent Contractor or Employee? What It Means for CA Micro-Businesses
Christopher Lodgson of Sac Black Biz, a CAMEO member, wrote us wondering if we were doing any work around the Dynamex case. He wrote: “Some of the black-owned beauty/barber professionals in our network reached out with concerns and confusion over the effect of a fairly recent California Supreme Court decision called Dynamex Operations West, Inc. v. Superior Court.”
Dynamex Operations West, Inc. v. Superior Court of Los Angeles was brought by two delivery drivers against same-day delivery company Dynamex. In 2004, Dynamex started classifying delivery drivers as independent contractors rather than employees. In the suit, the plaintiffs contested that Dynamex was misclassifying their drivers, therefore violating the provisions of IWC wage order No. 9, the applicable state wage order governing the transportation industry.
Read the outcome of the case and how it may affect your clients on our MicroBiz Blog: “Employees or Independent Contractors? The Dynamex Case and Micro-Businesses”
LendingFront Online Platform Webinar
- A new paper from the Federal Reserve Banks of Atlanta and Cleveland shows the difficulties faced by small black-owned businesses when obtaining credit.
- Asset Funders Network recently released “Supporting Employee Financial Stability: How Philanthropy Catalyzes Workplace Financial Coaching Programs.”
- Milken Institute released “Best Practices for Technical Assistance Programs Serving Black and Hispanic Entrepreneurs and Small-Business Owners.”
- The SBA recently released a report on small business lending based on data from banks.
- Small Business Majority is celebrating National Women’s Small Business Month with a series of free webinars throughout October.
- VEDC will host a cyber-security webinar on Tuesday, October 23, 2018at 8:00 am. Watch on your own or join the Watch Party at the WBC in Sherman Oaks.
- Prospera hosts Second Annual Summit for Latina Entrepreneurs, Saturday, October 27, 2018from 8:30 am – 6:30 pm.
- CAMEO is partnering with the Federal Reserve to conduct a Small Business Credit Survey. The survey closes December 8, 2018.
- Join CalNonprofits for their policy convention -Nonprofits Standing Up for California on Thursday, October 18, 2018, in Los Angeles.
- CALED brings you the Introduction to Economic Development Certificate Program on October 22-25, 2018 in Fresno.
- Register for AFN’s Annual Bay Area Asset Building Conference on November 1, 2018, in Oakland.
- The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) will host two workshops – Credit Risk and Operational Risk Workshop – in San Francisco on November 6-7, 2018.
- Member Kudos: Prosperity Now founder Robert E. Friedman has a new book out, A Few Thousand Dollars: Sparking Prosperity.
- Member Kudos: Congrats to California FarmLink who was the only California organization to directly receive a PRIME grant for FY 2018-2019.
- Happy Hispanic Heritage Month: 400 Hispanic women-owned businesses are launched each day; and since 2007, Hispanic women-owned firms have grown at a rate of 172 percent.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration is now accepting nominations for its 2019 National Small Business Week Awards, including the annual Small Business Person of the Year. The deadline is January 9, 2019.
- Jobs: Pacific Community Ventures, CalSavers, JEDI, California Farmlink, Cutting Edge Capital, and Chinatown Service Center are hiring!