In this Must Know…
- The Shutdown and Us
- Save the Date for our first-ever West Coast microbusiness conference!
- Wildfire Recovery Update
- Join Online Learning for Micro Business TA on January 17, 2019, at 2 pm.
- Register for our MicroLending Essentials in LA on February 20-21, 2019.
- The Goodies highlight for this week is that Greenlining is accepting applications for their Summer Associate and Fellowship programs.
The Shutdown and Us
According to a report by House Small Business Committee Chairwoman Nydia Velázquez, the government shutdown has led SBA to cease its activities for the 7(a) and 504 loan programs, as well as the Microloan program. For contractors, a shutdown prevents agencies from entering into any new contracts, including those with small businesses. Furloughing employees also has impacted contracting resources such as FedBizOpps and FPDS, which slows down the bid process.
CalNonprofits wants to understand the impact the shutdown is having on nonprofits and their communities. Please take 5 minutes to share. Please copy and paste your comments and email Daniela.
It Takes A Network
2019 is CAMEO’s 25th Anniversary! To celebrate, we’re announcing It Takes A Network – our theme for 2019.
Also, we will hold our first West Coast microbusiness conference on September 16-17, 2019.
Mark your calendars and stay tuned for an RFP for sessions! We’ can’t wait to show you the great things we have planned this year.
Disaster Recovery Update
Two months after the Woolsey and Camp Fires started, SBA continues to offer loans to businesses affected. Applications for those that sustained physical damage are due TOMORROW – January 11, 2019.
Other CAMEO members and partner organizations have also been hard at work providing counseling, loans, and grants. Learn more about their efforts here.
Webinars & Workshops
- Join RoundTable Technology’s free cybersecurity training on January 15, 2019, at 12:00 pm EST.
- Small Business Majority is hosting a webinar to explain recent changes to the ACA and how they impact small businesses on January 15, 2019, at 1:00 pm EST.
- Join Small Business Majority for a presentation that covers the difference between independent contractors and employees on January 17, 2019, at 9:30 am PST.
For Your Clients
- Beginning on January 1, 2019, the Employment Development Department (EDD) will be assessing penalties on businesses which do not electronically file certain tax forms.
- GO-Biz is now accepting applications for the California Competes Tax Credit.
- The Specialty Food Business Summit takes place on April 7-9, 2019 in Chicago. It is the ultimate conference for building a specialty food or beverage company.
- Greenlining is now accepting applications for their Summer Associate and Fellowship programs. Deadline to apply is March 3, 2019.
- The California Community Development Institute will be hosted at Fresno State on April 2-5, 2018.
- Registration is now open for Opportunity Finance Network’s Fundamentals of Opportunity Finance course in Durham, NC on April 10-12, 2019.
- In the News: California’s new governor, Gavin Newsom, shouts out to small business in his inaugural speech.
- New Report: The 2019 Roadmap to Shared Prosperity outlines the California Economic Summit’s plans to advance progress in the state.
- New Report: Upwork released their 5th annual “Freelancing in America” report.
- Jobs: Working Solutions, AnewAmerica, and Kiva announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!