- Take Action: Shutdowns hurt small businesses.
- 25 reasons to value CAMEO on its 25th anniversary.
- Don’t miss MiLEs and our other upcoming training opportunities!
- Our member drive ends TOMORROW. Renew your membership or join!
- Last call for your thoughts on the $23mm state investment in small business development – fill out the survey by Wednesday, February 6, 2019.
- If you’re in LA, join our Regional Meeting on February 19, 2019.
- This week’s Goodie highlight is that CAMEO is hiring a Program Manager in LA.
Shutdowns Hurt Small Businesses
The government has been reopened until February 15. But its effects will continue to be felt for a long time. Cash flow, access to capital, and the inability to collect payments were only a few of the many challenges California businesses faced during this shutdown. The closure of the SBA meant that nationwide about 5,000 business loans were submitted and now need to be processed in addition to the loans that are made this month. Small Business Majority CEO John Arenmeyer called the shutdown “a trifecta of pain for small businesses.” Read more on our blog post – “Shutdowns Hurt Small Businesses.”
CAMEO will be sending a letter to Senators Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris, urging them to support legislation to prevent federal government shutdowns in the future. Please sign on to the letter – send an email to Daniela with a ‘yes, include me on the letter.’ Keeping the federal government open is vital to the small businesses that support California’s economy.
25 Reasons to Value CAMEO
Upcoming Training Opportunities
- MicroLending Essentials: Los Angeles on February 20-21, 2019
- Third Thursday webinar – Gig Economy 101: Samaschool and the Online Entrepreneur on February 21, 2019
- Samaschool’s “How to Succeed as A Freelancer” Train-the-Trainer on March 20, 2019
- Greenlining is accepting applications for their Summer Associate and Fellowship programs. Deadline to apply is March 3, 2019.
- Heidi Pickman is speaking at NCRC’s Just Economy Conference on March 11-13, 2019 in Washington, DC.
- The 2019 CDFI Coalition Institute takes place onMarch 13-14, 2019.
- Fresno State hosts the California Community Development Institute on April 2-5, 2018.
- Registration is now open for Opportunity Finance Network’s Fundamentals of Opportunity Finance course in Durham, NC on April 10-12, 2019.
For Your Clients
- Applications are open for the Social Enterprise Alliance’s “Pave a Path Scholarship.” Deadline to apply is February 24, 2019.
- California FarmLink is hosting their annual Farm Finance Expo in Clovis, CA on February 28, 2019.
- GO-Biz is accepting applications for the California Competes Tax Credit. Deadline is March 25, 2019.
- The Specialty Food Business Summit takes place on April 7-9, 2019 in Chicago. It is the ultimate conference for building a specialty food or beverage company.
- Join a special video webinar briefing on the Newsom Administration’s 2019 priorities for business and economic development with recently appointed Chief Economic and Business Advisor Lenny Mendonca on February 5, 2019, at 2:00 pm.
- Join Nonprofit Learning Lab’s upcoming Online Nonprofit Conference on February 12, 2019, to learn more about effectively managing volunteers. They offer individual and group registration.
- SBA has extended the deadline for the 2019 National Small Business Week Awards Nominations to February 4, 2019, at 3:00 pm EST.
- New Report: Prosperity Now just released their 2019 Scorecard.
New Report: The Aspen Institute published a new report that explores entrepreneurship pathways for opportunity youth.
- Jobs: CAMEO, Prospera, Access Plus Capital, Norcal SBDC, and Working Solutions announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!