In this Must Know…
- On the Governor’s Desk
- New Bill Introduces Welcome Changes to RMAP
- See CAMEO at one of these conferences this fall!
- Read Carolina’s Forbes op-ed on California’s recent changes to the MEHKO program that will expand economic opportunity for home cooks.
- Ask your clients to share their experiences by taking the Federal Reserve’s 2023 Small Business Credit Survey today.
- This week’s Goodie Highlight is the upcoming series of small business leadership trainings hosted by CalOSBA Director Tara Lynn Gray.
On the Governor’s Desk
The California Legislature finished its 2023 session last week. Several bills benefitting small businesses and nonprofits await Governor Newsom’s signature, including:
- SB 33 requires certain financing disclosures in small business lending.
- SB 666 prevents financing companies from charging exorbitant fees to small businesses. Check the appropriate box on this form to ask the governor to sign SB 666.
- SB 557 extends the state’s Prompt Payment Act to all state contracts with nonprofits.
- AB 590 ensures nonprofits can secure up to 25% of contracted funds up front.
New Bill Introduces Welcome Changes to RMAP
Last month, Representatives Zach Nunn (R-IA) and Angie Craig (D-MN) introduced a marker bill that outlines improvements to the Rural Microentrepreneur Assistance Program (RMAP). Proposed changes would increase the maximum loan amount from $50,000 to $75,000 and allow small businesses to use loan funds for construction and renovation projects.
If you are in one of the following congressional districts and would be willing to participate in a meeting with your representatives about this bill, please email Addison: LaMalfa (District 1),
Duarte (District 13), Costa (District 21), and Carbajal (District 24).
Don’t miss your chance to meet up with CAMEO staff at the following conferences this fall:
- 78% of small business owners said they believe a government shutdown would negatively impact the economy, according to a new Small Business for America’s Future survey.
- Read ICA Fund’s newest report, “Small Business Levers of Wealth Creation.”
- If your organization administers a loan fund, please share your expertise in this CDFA Food Systems Loan Guarantee Survey by September 30, 2023.
- Venturize explains what you need to know about SBA’s recent changes to their small business lending programs.
- CalOSBA Director Tara Lynn Gray is hosting a series of small business leadership trainings throughout the state: September 25 in San Francisco, September 26 in Sacramento, and September 29 in Fresno.
- Join Prosperity Now’s “Policies for Inclusive Entrepreneurship 101” on September 27, 2023 at 12:00pm PT.
- Policy News: NMSDC is hosting a stakeholder call with SBA Administrator Isabel Casillas Guzman on the recent challenges to the 8(a) Development Program TOMORROW at 1:00pm PT.
- Jobs: The US Treasury Department, Accessity, El Pajaro CDC, and COOK Alliance announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!