In this Must Know…
- Submit your comments on SB 1235’s implementation.
- Take action to protect the Johnson Amendment.
- Register for MicroLending Essentials in LA on February 20-21, 2019.
- Renew your membership or join us!
- SBA is making low-interest federal disaster loans available to California businesses and residents affected by the wildfires.
- The Goodies – This week’s highlight are lots of new reports for your holiday reading: CDFI partnerships, lending in underserved markets, millennial women entrepreneurs.
SB 1235 Implementation: Make Your Voice Heard
Last week, the California Department of Business Oversight (DBO) released its call for comments on SB 1235 implementation. It is critical that the DBO hear from small business advocates like you on the importance of establishing strong regulations that protect businesses seeking financing.
CAMEO will be working with the Responsible Business Lending Coalition (RBLC) to develop detailed recommendations that address the DBO’s SB 1235 implementation questions. In the coming weeks, we will circulate a draft comment letter that we encourage all responsible business lending advocates to make use of as a guide when submitting your individual comments.
The deadline for submitting comments to DBO is January 22, 2019. Please mark your calendars and watch for additional updates.
Take Action: Protect the Johnson Amendment
A small section has been added to the big federal spending bill that would repeal the Johnson Amendment, which prohibits nonprofits from endorsing candidates and protects us from the pressure that comes with such endorsements. We need to let our members of Congress know that our work depends on having that section removed. Here are some ways to contact them and spread the word.
Give the Gift of Learning
Is one of your goals to help business owners access capital? Are too many of your referrals to lenders denied?
CAMEO’s Susan Brown developed a training that will help your staff think like a lender so that your referrals experience a higher rate of success. Register now for MicroLending Essentials in Los Angeles on February 20-21, 2019.
- New research from the Federal Reserve Banks of Atlanta, Minneapolis, Richmond, and St. Louis examines CDFI partnership formation, development, and sustainability.
- The Milken Institute and the SBA released a report on the outcomes of their Partnership for Lending in Underserved Markets initiative.
- The National Women’s Business Council wrote a report that profiles millennial women entrepreneurs.
For Your Clients
- Your clients need to fill out the Federal Reserve’s Small Business Credit Survey by December 21, 2018. SO important!
- Small Business California’s 2018 Small Business Survey is open for your clients to fill out on the business climate in the state.
- Small Business Majority is hosting their final webinar TODAY to explain how the changes to the ACA affect small businesses.
- Nonprofit Learning Lab’s Nonprofit Institute will take place in Los Angeles on January 15, 2019.
- Early bird registration is open for the 2019 #JustEconomy Conference, March 11-13, 2019.
- The deadline to overturn the FCC’s net neutrality repeal is days away. Tell lawmakers to take action.
- Jobs: Opportunity Finance Network, Pacific Community Ventures, CalSavers, California Budget & Policy Center, Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center, Mission Community Services Corporation, Credit Builders Alliance, Santa Cruz SBDC, and Women’s Economic Ventures are hiring!