- Heidi is in DC this week!
- The President’s Budget
- Training Opportunities from CAMEO
- This week’s Goodie highlight is BBVA’s Momentum training program for social entrepreneurs.
Ms. CAMEO Goes to Washington
Heidi is in DC this week talking about responsible business lending with colleagues from the Responsible Business Lending Coalition – Joyce Klein from Aspen Institute, CAMEO board member Louis Caditz-Peck from Lending Club, Gabe Villarreal from Opportunity Fund, and Renee Johnson from Small Business Majority. They talked about why disclosure is so important and the challenges they overcame when passing SB 1235 last year. Read more about her trip to the capital in her blog post.
The President’s Budget
The President’s FY2020 Budget was released on Monday, giving SBA a 5% cut in overall funding. While the Budget’s plans for the Microloan Program and SBDCs are encouraging, the elimination of the CDFI Fund’s programs and the overall decrease in funding are troubling. For more details on the funds requested for SBA, read our latest blog post.
Training Opportunities Next Week
- Training Independent Entrepreneurs for Success – March 20, 2019, in San Francisco: This free four-hour event will teach you what the gig economy is (and isn’t), who it can help, and where it’s headed.
- Online Learning is Here to Stay – March 21, 2019, at 2:00 pm: Joy Taylor of JEDI will demystify the world of remote learning.
- Upstart Co-Lab published the white paper, “The Community Reinvestment Act and the Creative Economy.”
- CDFI Coalition released a report showcasing the work of many CDFIs across the country (including several CAMEO members).
- SBA’s Office of Advocacy published its Small Business Economic Bulletin for March 2019.
For Your Clients
- Small Business Majority is hosting a webinar on International Trade Strategies for Small Businesses on March 20, 2019, at 12:00 pm PT.
- BBVA Momentum is a training program for social entrepreneurs. They’re hosting special events for interested candidates all around the country, including March 25 and 26, 2019 in Los Angeles.
- Registration is open for OFN’s Fundamentals of Opportunity Finance course in Durham, NC on April 10-12, 2019.
- Registration is live for CBA’s Credit Building Symposium on June 12-14, 2019 in Washington, DC.