In This Must Know…
- Hate Has No Place in California’s Leadership
- Confronting Racial Inequity in Small Business Lending
- ICYMI: CAMEO Commits to Launch National CDFI Academy
- Two CAMEO members are running for the OFN board!
- This week’s Goodie highlight is to join the SBA for their Cyber Summit on October 26, 2022 at 9:00am PT!
Hate Has No Place in California’s Leadership
California is the second most diverse state in the country, which is something that CAMEO values. As such, it is unconscionable that our leaders speak ill of any one segment of the population. To that end, we condemn the racist, homophic, anti-Semetic, anti-Armenian, and anti-Indigenous statements by Los Angeles City Council Members Gil Cedillo and Kevin de León, former member Nury Martinez, and former LA County Labor Federation President Ron Herrera. We call on Misters Cedillo and de León to resign as the other two did.
Our communities deserve better; they deserve respect. Our communities deserve leaders that strive for inclusion and the uplifting of our diverse communities, not pitting one against the other, especially at a time when unity is critical.
Confronting Racial Inequity in Small Business Lending
The LA scandal comes at a time when racial injustice has been at the forefront of political discourse. The economic crisis caused by COVID-19 exposed the massive inequalities in the health and wealth of Americans based on their race and class – underscoring the need for unity mentioned above. Black and Brown communities experienced hardship on many levels – the economic impact has hit small business owners especially hard, as they struggled to access the capital necessary to keep their doors open and continue to provide for their families.
National CDFI Academy!
ICYMI: Carolina and Emily went to the Clinton Global Initiative and met former President Bill Clinton! CAMEO made a commitment at the Clinton Global Initiative to provide microlending best practices information, education, and training to more than 5,000 staff members of more than 400 CDFIs over three years through our National Community Development Financial Institution Academy (CDFI) Academy.
OFN Board Elections
Two CAMEO members are running for the OFN board. Elections are next week at the Invest In Change Conference, October 18-21, 2022!
- Sign up by October 25, 2022 for the Opportunity Finder featured in the upcoming PBS show to help people find nonprofits and CDFIs to meet their needs.
- Join the SBA for their Cyber Summit on October 26, 2022 at 9:00am PT.