In this Must Know…
- Three bills from the California Nonprofit Equity Initiative have been voted through committee and will make it easier to do business with the state.
- The recording of yesterday’s Climate + Small Biz Summer School session about engaging your clients is now available in CAMEO Academy.
- State Policy Update: SB 666 passed the legislature and awaits signature by Gov. Newsom. SB 33 passed the Assembly (unanimously!) and is moving to the Senate for Concurrence.
- Hispanic Heritage Month starts tomorrow, September 15. Support Hispanic businesses in your community!
- This week’s Goodie Highlight is the California Drought & Flood Relief Grant Program, which will provide relief to small agricultural businesses that have been impacted by drought or floods.
Good News for Nonprofits Contracting with the State of California
As the California legislative session comes to a close, we are happy to report that three bills from the California Nonprofit Equity Initiative have been voted through committee and now await final floor votes.
The Equity Initiative is a package of bills that aims to improve how nonprofits contract with the state government. The three bills in question are:
- AB 590 – allows nonprofits to get started on work without having to front millions of dollars before reimbursement payments begin.
- SB 336 – provides steps toward nonprofits getting paid for the full costs of services provided.
- SB 557 – corrects the waiting periods between when nonprofits bill government and when they get paid.
2023 Bay Area Member Meeting Kicks Off 30th Anniversary Brainstorm
Last Friday, we held our Bay Area Member Meeting at the Google Community Space in San Francisco. We are incredibly thankful to Louise Dawson, Deputy Director of the SBA San Francisco District Office, for sharing important SBA updates. To read the full meeting recap, visit our CAMEO Blog.
To kick off our 30th Anniversary coming next year, we asked members to give us three words that best describe CAMEO. We want you to do the same! Please fill out this super short survey.
Summer School Recap
Yesterday we held the fourth and final session of this year’s Climate + Small Biz Summer School. CAMEO Board member and former Executive Director of the Alliance for Community Development, Naima McQueen explained why our diverse small businesses should be involved in climate resiliency and offered strategies to engage them. It was a thought-provoking conversation and a lot of great resources were shared.
The recording of yesterday’s session is now available in CAMEO Academy. All four Summer School sessions will be available for free until the end of September, after which they will move to the Members Only section.
- Prosperity Now’s “Building High-Impact Nonprofits of Color” Open Training Series is taking place from September 12 – October 11, 2023.
- Register for the 2023 Small Business Anti-Displacement Network Conference on November 1-3, 2023 in College Park, MD.
- Join the Exit Planning Institute’s “Employee Ownership 101” on September 19, 2023 at 10:00am PT.
- Join the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco’s “Increasing Equitable Access to Affordable Housing Finance” on September 21, 2023 at 10:00am PT.
For Your Clients
- The California Drought & Flood Relief Grant Program will provide relief to small agricultural businesses that have been impacted by drought or floods. Join Lendistry’s webinar on September 19, 2023 at 11:00am PT to learn more.
- Ask your clients to share their experiences by taking the Federal Reserve’s 2023 Small Business Credit Survey today.
- Industry News: GO-Biz distributed the state’s first-ever Local Immigrant Integration and Inclusion Grant (LIIIG) allocations. See if your city was a recipient and contact them to partner.
- Jobs: COOK Alliance, Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center, and Working Solutions CDFI announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!