Please whitelist @microbiz.org and no
-firstname.lastname@example.org to continue to ensure CAMEO emails do not go to your spam folder.
In this Must Know…
- What Do Women Entrepreneurs Need to Grow?
- Myths and Realities of Independent Entrepreneurs
- 25 Reasons to Value CAMEO – Partnerships
- This week’s Goodie highlight is CAED’s Memorial Scholarship Fund for economic development training.
What do Women Entrepreneurs Need to Grow?
Women-owned businesses with revenues between $250,000 and $5 million struggle to find the loans they need to grow – that’s according to a new survey of women business owners about their capital needs by Invest in Women Entrepreneurs Initiative (I-WE). Claudia Viek, former CAMEO CEO and founder/catalyst of I-WE, wrote a guest post on our MicroBiz Blog to address the capital needs of women entrepreneurs.
Women owners of businesses of all sizes struggle to get capital despite being well-qualified and having been in business for a long time. Women receive less capital than men due to lender bias, including the belief that loans to women entrepreneurs are less profitable and that they will max out their credit from lack of collateral.
The I-WE survey makes several recommendations to enable the growth of women business owners. Read about them in Claudia’s post.
July Was All about Independent Entrepreneurs
Policy: California AB 5 is a bill that will re-define how companies classify employees and independent contractors.
Activities: CAMEO co-hosted a webinar with CALED about the myths and realities of independent entrepreneurs and how economic developers can partner with Samaschool to train freelance workers. CAMEO also partnered with Samaschool to license their training to our members. If you’re interested in learning more, email Heidi.
Read more on our MicroBiz Blog.
25 Reasons to Value CAMEO
As we reflect on our 25 years of work in the sector, every week we’ll be highlighting one of the 25 reasons (or more!) to value CAMEO.
Reason #18: CAMEO partners with other organizations to expand the number of opportunities for our members – like CALED and Samaschool.
- The Minority Business Development Agency is seeking proposals to develop and implement an MBDA Virtual Business Center. Applications must be submitted by tomorrow, July 26, 2019.
- CAED’s Memorial Scholarship Fund helps people receive economic development training or certifications. Scholarships are available until funding is depleted.
For Your Clients
- USC Marshall School of Business has a grants program for social enterprises seeking growth capital. Applications must be submitted before August 2nd, 2019.
- The California Hispanic Chamber of Commerce’s 40th Annual Statewide Convention will take place on August 21-23, 2019 in Stockton, CA.
- JEDE’s “Fast Facts on the California Economy” has been updated with 2018 GDP and May 2019 unemployment data.”
- Asset Funders Network released a new brief that explores how the gender wealth gap impacts women and provides responsive strategies and best practices to create greater economic security for women.
- New Resources: Small Business Majority is hosting a Twitter Chat on August 1, 2019, at 1:00 pm PT where they’ll answer questions about CalSavers and how small businesses can take advantage of the program.
- Jobs: Renaissance, CCEDA, and CDC Small Business Finance announced new jobs recently. See who else is hiring!