- State Legislative Crunch Time
- Join our CalSavers Retirement Program Webinar on September 19, 2019 at 2:00 pm PT.
- Faces of Entrepreneurship Winner Launches DPO
- 25 Reasons to Value CAMEO – Reason #24: CAMEO keeps members up-to-date on funding and professional opportunities through the weekly Must Know newsletter.
- This week’s Goodie highlight is the CDFI Fund’s 2019 New Markets Tax Credit Program.
State Legislative Crunch Time
There’s a lot going on in Sacramento right now, with the legislative session coming to an end on September 13 and California lawmakers sorting through hundreds of bills, including several on small biz issues.
Call your Senators to express your support for the Public Banking Act (AB 857). This bill will keep money in local communities and help small businesses.
Other bills that are moving that CAMEO supports:
- AB 377 – Fixes issues from AB 626, which legalized home cooking in California. The bill is about to come to a vote in the Senate.
- AB 539 – Caps rates on consumer installment loans. The bill is currently being amended in the Senate.
- SB 455 – Creates a $1 million fund to support nonprofits that deliver financial education and empowerment tools. The bill recently made it through the Assembly Appropriations Committee.
CalSavers Retirement Program: A Webinar
Join us and our colleagues at Small Business Majority and CalSavers on September 19, 2019 at 2:00 pm for an interactive webinar that covers the state’s new CalSavers Retirement Savings Program.
This program provides a portable workplace retirement savings account for private-sector workers whose employers are unable to offer a retirement program. Your organization and your clients can participate.
Faces of Entrepreneurship Winner Launches DPO
2018 CAMEO Faces of Entrepreneurship Winner With Love Market & Cafe just announced the launch of a Direct Public Offering (DPO) that will allow California residents to become investors.
With Love, a market, cafe, and event space, is a social enterprise founded by Andrew McDowell. This new crowdfunding campaign aims to pay off loans and debt, expand to a second location, and start a food cart entrepreneurship program to create 20 new small businesses in South LA.
Who do you want to nominate for the Faces Award? Nominations opening soon.
- The Treasury’s CDFI Fund released the Notice of Allocation Availability for the 2019 round of the New Markets Tax Credit Program. CDE Certification deadline is September 23, 2019.
- USDA is seeking applications for its Rural Economic Development Loan and Grant Program. Deadline for First Quarter applications is September 30, 2019.
- The Federal Reserve’s 2019 Small Business Credit Survey kicks off September 10, 2019. Join their webinar on September 5 to discuss the 2018 results.
- Join Credit Builders Alliance for “Lender Roundtable Series: Underwriting for Consumers with No or Poor Credit” on September 10, 2019 at 10:00 am PT.
- “Speaking Up For Change: Engage, Inspire and Transform” is an 8-week online program designed for business speakers. It starts September 10, 2019.
- CalNonprofits offers its members free or discounted sexual harassment training.